So we have all read the Microsoft support article on how to install Skype4B on Windows Server 2016, but if not. Heres a summary.
- Run the installer
- Download and install updates
- Finish running the installer
- Continue as normal
That’s all fine and dandy. But what about in hardened environments where the Skype4B servers don’t have access to Microsoft Update/Wsus?
Simple, We cache the patches on a staging machine first and transfer the files using your preferred method.
- On your staging machine, Run Setup\amd64\Setup.exe from your Skype4B installation media.
- When the installer starts you will be prompted to download updates. Download and install these.
- Once the installer has downloaded and cached all the files on your staging PC, and you press next, it will install a few more bits then open the Deployment Wizard
- Close the Deployment Wizard
- Now On the machines without internet access, run the installer, but don’t select to download updates.
- Once the installer completes caching files and opens the Deployment Wizard, Exit
- On your staging machine navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Skype for Business Server\Deployment
- There should be a folder here called patchcache
- Copy the patchcache folder to your target server in the same location (it will only have a cache folder)
- From the start menu on the target server navigate to “Skype for Business Server 2015 > Skype for Business Server Deployment”
- Run the Deployment wizard as normal.
- When you install the roles, you will notice the bootstrapper finds and uses the MSP files located in Patchcache to patch the MSI files post installation
- In some cases you may be asked to reboot. This is normal
Hope this helps someone.